(This information was provided by the Greater Hazleton Historical Society)
Hazleton was incorporated as a borough by two acts of the state legislature, the first winning approval April 31, 1851, and a supplemental act being authorized April 22, 1856. A short time later, mining and banking pioneer George B. Markle became president of the first borough council.
The borough's fire department was not organized until 1866, after the town's 800-man contingent of soldiers returned home from the Civil War. The borough's population grew steadily until the 1880s when waves of eastern European immigrants poured in to take jobs created by the booming coal industry. In 1860, the borough's population as an estimated 4,000. In 1880, it reached 6,935 and, by 1890, it soared to 11,872.
The borough limits expanded in the 1880s and, by 1890, the borough's population had more than doubled.
The next year, on December 4, 1891, Hazleton was chartered as a city. In the early part of the 20th Century, Hazleton was a boomtown, its population increasing from 14,230 in 1900 to 25,452 in 1910. The population would peak at 38,009 in the 1940 census. With the decline of the anthracite coal industry which fueled this tremendous growth, the city's population also steadily decreased. Today, about 25,000 live in Hazleton.
For more information, visit http://www.hazletonhistory.8m.com/